CHURCH HISTORY IN A NUTSHELL

CHURCH HISTORY IN A NUTSHELL

Shortly after 1517 Lutheran teaching appeared in Hungary. In 1525 Reformers came from Buda to Kecskemét and most of the inhabitants became Lutheran. A document signed in 1564 says that Lutheran and Roman Catholic believers are not using the same church building any more.

In a synod in Debrecen in 1567 the churches at both sides of River Tisza decided to follow the Calvinist Reformation, and it included Kecskemét as well.

Only a few could stay as Lutheran.

In 1782 we know about 198 Lutherans in 63 families. They wanted to build a church building and got the permission from the city council in 1792. It was a prayer house without a tower and a church bell; a school room; and a home for their pastor and teacher.

A famous student of this school was the Hungarian poet Sándor Petõfi in 1828-31. A memorial tablet can be seen at a building in Arany J. utca 1. from the church side.

In the 19th century ca. 500 people belonged to the congregation and they had the possibility to build a church. On a praising service in 1863 they could give thanks to God for their new church that was built in Romantic style according to the plans of architect Miklós Ybl.

Since 1928 there is a Neobarokk organ that is used both at worships and concerts.

In 1892 some shops were built just in front of the church hiding it from the people. Only the Assembly of the Lutheran World Federation in 1984 gave the chance to remove these shops.

The works of the last two decades have been renewing the church step by step - both inside and outside.

Dokumentummal kapcsolatos tevékenységek